The SHURE Initiative interviewed Mr. James Hunt, Global Head of Real Estate at Global Student Accommodation on April 20, 2023 about important macro trends impacting the student accommodation outlook.
Mr. Hunt leads the global real estate team and is responsible for the expansion of its real estate portfolio through the acquisition of development opportunities and investment properties. Mr. Hunt is a chartered surveyor with over 20 years experience of purpose-built student accommodation in the UK, Europe, Australia, and the USA. Mr. Hunt has delivered complex projects in investment strategy, acquisition, development, asset management, joint ventures, and university partnerships. Mr. Hunt joined GSA in 2018, and prior to this role worked for the Unite Group for 17 years.
In the SHURE Initiative interview, Mr. Hunt addressed important industry trends including:
* Macro factors at play globally: Recovery from COVID, war in Eastern Europe and inflation
* Enrollments in Canada, Australia and East Asian countries
* Acquisition plans over the next 12-24 months in North America, Europe and East Asia
* How GSA positioned itself as an innovator in the face of challenges in the recent years
* Analysis of debt and/or unique JV equity partnerships
* The impact of property technology on building operations and future valuations